On Friday, 14 August 2015 at 14:57:19 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
I stumbled upon https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/471374 which gives good detail on Intel's Math Kernel Library's data formats for sparse matrices.

No doubt other popular linear algebra libraries have similar documentation. I was thinking we could start with adding these layouts to std, along with a few simple primitives (construction, element/slice access, stride etc). Then, people may just use those as they are or link with the linalg libraries for specific computations.

Thoughts?

Andrei

Are sparse matrices a common scenario?

If anything I think small vectors, non-sparse matrixes and rectangles/AABB could be part of Phobos before that.