On 19-Aug-2015 12:26, "Ola Fosheim =?UTF-8?B?R3LDuHN0YWQi?= <ola.fosheim.grostad+dl...@gmail.com>" wrote:
And there is plenty of research papers on optimization floating around
and implemented in GCC/LLVM/MSVC so most of R&D cost is payed by other
backends/researchers.

I think you underestimate the amount of experimental work that has gone
into those backends, work that ends up being trashed. It's not like you
have to implement what LLVM has now. You have to implement what LLVM has
and a lot of the stuff they have thrown out.

I do not. I underestime the benefits of tons of subtle passes that play into 0.1-0.2% in some cases. There are lots and lots of this in GCC/LLVM. If having the best code generated out there is not the goal we can safely omit most of these focusing on the most critical bits.

--
Dmitry Olshansky