dsimcha wrote:
2.  I don't understand how this solves the safety problem:

// foo lives on the heap b/c we've idup'd it.
string foo = "This is only a test.".idup;
string bar = foo[0..4];
bar ~= " is _not ";
writeln(foo);  // prints "This is _not a test."

Having access to the capacity in an LRU cache doesn't help if I understand it
correctly.

Let me stress a point harder that I think I expressed poorly:

The LRU cache stores the capacity of a given slice given _BOTH_ the slice's left and right bounds. If you later come with a slice that has only one correct bound, the LRU doesn't care about it. That's the safety tidbit.