Hello Yigal,

On 19/10/2009 19:10, BCS wrote:

Hello Yigal,

I think that Arrays and AAs need to be removed from the language. I
prefer to have a collections framework as part of Phobos without
special cases in the language for specific containers.

If it can be assured that all the current array ops will get inlined
is all cases and can result in identical asm I'd be willing to
consider this.

List!(Foo) list = new Array!(Foo); // instead of Foo[new]

For me to not dislike the idea you would also need to find a cleaner
syntax.

See Leandro Lucarella's posts which describe the same idea.

currently, AAs and arrays are implemented in the run-time. What I
suggest is to move them to the stdlib. I don't see how such a move can
impact performance which you're concerned with above.

// a is an array of ints

int b;
if(a.length > 5) b = a[5];
else b = a[$/2];

No runtime in that at all now.

on the contrary,
moving these types outside the runtime will make it easier to improve
their implementations.

regarding syntax, what's cleaner than calling an array an "Array"?
T[new] is less clear and hackish.

if T[new] gets done as Array!T, what does T[] look like?

I'm not to worried about the fancy feature, it the bone simple stuff staying bone simple that I'm looking after.