On Tuesday, 15 September 2015 at 20:01:16 UTC, Meta wrote:
On Tuesday, 15 September 2015 at 18:30:34 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
It is the same type of concept. Typestate, effect system, linear typing, behavioural typing. It is no doubt the future for type systems, but also demanding. I've tried to raise awareness about it before, but no takers:

http://forum.dlang.org/post/ovoarcbexpvrrceys...@forum.dlang.org

If I remember correctly Rust *did* have a typestate system very early on but it was done away with in favour of the borrow checker.

Yeah, I've seen the Rust creator write about how they started out with all whistles and bells with the intent of having a full blow effect system. Then realized that they had to make things simpler and focus on memory management because that was the most critical feature. Probably a wise strategy to go for simplicity and hit version 1.0 sooner.

Having a simple core language is usually a good idea. I see now in the rust forums that people use the borrow checker for other things than memory, like tracking what thread you are in:

https://users.rust-lang.org/t/my-gamedever-wishlist-for-rust/2859/7