On Sunday, 20 September 2015 at 17:32:53 UTC, Adam wrote:
My experiences with D recently have not been fun.

The language itself has a top notch feature rich set. The implementation, excluding bugs, feels a bit boxy and old school. .NET has a unified approach and everything seems to fit together nicely and feels consistent. The abomination of dmd, though, is it's error messages. Most of them are meaningless and you have to dive down 2 or 3 levels of assumptions to figure out what they mean. It's not too bad but because of the poor tool set it makes it difficult to debug apps.

Visual D, a mighty attempt to bring some sanity to D in windows, is simply to unpolished to work well. It brings the looks of Visual Studio but not the feel of how VS works so well with .NET. I spend over an order of magnitude more time trying to fix D bugs than I do in .NET. Unfortunately this makes it infeasible to continue to use D.

For example, I build a ~10k line app in under a week in .NET, with gui and everything. In D I'm still working on getting the libraries build. Even with all the power D has, what good is it if you can't get off the starting line.

Remember, no reason to have the sharpest sword if you can't wield it.

The problem is that you seem to be accustomed to an IDE of which D is not tied to. That would limit (as you put it) its portability. But at the same time you want a unified tool-set?

Ask any of the vim/emacs users here and they will tell you otherwise.