On 09/29/2015 10:51 AM, ponce wrote:
On Wednesday, 23 September 2015 at 15:09:53 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:

This is engineering, not fucking fashion. Popularity has no place in
decision making here. From everything I've seen, 90% of the problems
that exist in computing technology today can be traced back directly
to some jackass(es) weighing popularity higher than actual technical
merit.

Companies use whatever the money-making competition use, and often bias
their evaluations to favor doing things in the same way.

Look at all these stories about Twitter/Facebook/WebStartup technology
stack. They wouldn't be anything interesting if they weren't famous.

But they are visible and make money, so what they use must be the right
thing.

Yea. I just wish more people understood the fallacy of that (and all the other basic, basic fallacies out there). :(

This one is basically what I've seen described as the "Birdmen fallacy":
https://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2009/12/01/the-birdmen-dont-fly/

See birds fly. Blindly imitate the feathers, not the physics. Fail. Blame anything but the "imitate feathers" approach. Repeat.