On Wednesday, 7 October 2015 at 14:59:37 UTC, Johannes Pfau wrote:
I think it wouldn't be hard to implement a solution. I guess it's mainly a political discussion :-(

It should be fairly easy to implement a solution - especially if it's simply marking the static constructor to say that it doesn't depend on any other module's static constructor having run (obviously, it gets far more complicated if you try and make it so that the programmer indicates which modules it doesn't depend on in order to have other cyclic dependencies caught if they creep into the code). druntime just needs to know that the order of that static constructor doesn't matter with regards to the others when it's deciding the order to run them in. I expect that actually making the change to druntime would be pretty simple.

The core problem is definitely that Walter objects to the idea (IIRC on the grounds that it's too easy for circular dependencies to creep in later and then not be caught). If he agreed to it, it could probably be implemented fairly quickly.

- Jonathan M Davis