On Tuesday, 24 November 2015 at 21:20:41 UTC, Jack Stouffer wrote:
On Tuesday, 24 November 2015 at 17:59:35 UTC, Joakim wrote:
Will be interesting to see how Swift does

Considering it won't be available for Windows, I'd guess not very well and it will remain a niche language until it does.

I think it's niche languages that are developed first on Windows, ;) as there's a lot more money going towards new app development for iOS these days. Popular mobile apps like Snapchat do not even bother developing for Windows _or_ the web (I just had to look that up, as I'd never use such an app, just what I'd heard from others ;) ), so that you cannot even _use_ them on Windows. Imagine that!

There's a reason D shot up in popularity after it started to support windows more thoroughly.

This is a common misconception, but D was initially developed and released _on_ Windows 15 years ago, as Walter is a Windows guy. It did not add linux support till a couple years later:

http://www.digitalmars.com/d/1.0/changelog1.html#new063

Yes, Win64 support came later than linux/x64: blame Microsoft's closed toolchain and proprietary, undocumented formats for that. Perhaps they're learning their lesson with their recent open-sourcing of their CV/PDB debug format.

Sure you can say that since it will be open source, people can create Windows versions. But without Apple merging changes upstream (which they have never said they would do) I really don't see those efforts lasting long before people realize the effort involved probably isn't worth it.

Yeah, I assumed they'd accept patches since they do for llvm/clang, and Swift comes from that umbrella rather than their other open-source projects that tend to just code dump occasionally.