On Tuesday, 24 November 2015 at 17:59:35 UTC, Joakim wrote:
A Wired article about Swift coming to the server, particularly after the imminent open-sourcing, that also mentions D as an alternative, especially since it's written by the same guy who wrote about D for Wired last year:

http://www.wired.com/2015/11/apples-swift-ios-programming-language-is-being-remade-for-data-centers/

Will be interesting to see how Swift does, a good natural experiment for those pushing D to focus on one niche before expanding, as Swift is doing really well on one of the most important development platforms today, iOS, before expanding onto the server. Of course, Apple is unlikely to really push it on the server, other than open-sourcing and accepting patches, so they have a built-in excuse if it doesn't do well. ;)

I don't know Swift well enough to comment on its features or merits, but it is naturally a success on iOS, because loads of people develop for iOS and sooner or later Apple's new favorite child will get everybody's attention. Server side, hm, I don't know. Will it run on Linux? How common are Apple servers? As far as I know, most server systems are Linux/Unix or Windows. That would make Swift a niche language on niche servers, wouldn't it :)

It's nice, though, that D was mentioned in an Apple related article.