On Wednesday, 25 November 2015 at 20:08:13 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
And the cost of inventing a new file format just grew by another order of magnitude.

I should add "need a special gui editing tool" to my list of reasons not to invent another file format.

The benefits of a gui are separate from the physical file format. It helps you get the semantics right primarily, secondarily it helps you navigate the ecosystem (the code.dlang.org website does this too). Only tertiary does it makes the file format irrelevant, but the main goal of them is to guide you through the process of creating a valid configuration that makes sense for you.