On Friday, 27 November 2015 at 20:14:21 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
There's this oddity of built-in hash tables: a reference to a non-empty hash table can be copied and then both references refer to the same hash table object. However, if the hash table is null, copying the reference won't track the same object later on.

Fast-forward to general collections. [...]

Andrei

I'd prefer the factory method and we shouldn't allow lazy initialization. That's only confusing, if it sometimes works and sometimes won't work. Null container should throw.