It is all beyond idiotic: it is amazing how long antiquated ideas stick around, only because people cannot imagine anything else.

I agree 100%. I published 4 books for Amazon Kindle, then stopped for exactly this reason. You can do so much more advanced stuff on the web than in an ebook.

I run http://tutorials.jenkov.com which has a good bit above 1 million page views a month. I do a few videos too. I just publish as I write. I earn a bit of money from the ads, but it's not that much money. The % of people browsing with ad blockers is rising.

How would a paid blog work? Subscription? Texts hidden behind a pay wall? Hard to get it into the search engines then...