On Saturday, 2 January 2016 at 11:31:24 UTC, Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:
I feel that for someone like me it is not clear what significant advantages D has over C++ or Java to make a switch. I cannot afford to experiment with a language unless I know for certain the benefits of using it.

If you are truly proficient in C++ then you probably are better off with C++ at this point than using languages like D, Rust or Swift, at least for long term commercial projects.

* Do D compilers generate more efficient code compared to C++ compilers?

No. The best D compilers use backends written for C/C++ (llvm/gcc).

* Can D generics do everything C++ templates can (are they Turing complete for instance) - and what additional capabilities does D have that would make a significant difference to the way templates are used in C++?

Certain things are more tedious in C++, like adding methods based on template parameters. Compile time reflection is also more tedious in C++.

Yet again, certain other things look syntactically better in C++ and other things look better syntactically in D.

* How does D's performance compare with Java when it comes to concurrent applications or garbage collection?

Java has much better garbage collectors. Concurrency frameworks have been more thoroughly tested in Java and C++.

* How stable is D? Can one use it without fear that the next version will significantly change the language and therefore one would have to rewrite?

Java and C++ are more mature and have been more stable.