On Sunday, 3 January 2016 at 23:22:17 UTC, Jakob Jenkov wrote:
You could just target your database at data analysis. Then you don't need to care about ACID, transactions etc. Just load all the data into memory, and start analyzing it.

Also, you'd typically be scanning over large parts of the data set for each query, so you may not need to support a full query language. Just what is needed for data analysis.

Later you can modify your engine to support ACID, more expressive query language etc.

That's the plan:) Except no dedicated query language is planned. At least that's my vision based on what I know about D and databases currently.

On one of the projects I am working on right now, we will also implement our own database engine. We need it to integrate tightly with the rest our architecture, and the only way to do that is to roll our own. We will also not be using SQL because SQL is so limiting.

So, I'd say "go ahead" - you can only learn something from the project. I've "reinvented a lot of wheels" over the years, and each time I came out smarter than before. Not every reinvention was a success, but I always learned something from the process.

Thanks! So at least one more soul believing that D can approach the SQL expressiveness in db domain.

Cheers
Piotrek