On Friday, 12 February 2016 at 19:12:48 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
* If the buffer is const, then the allocator must conservatively assume it might have been immutable and subsequently shared among threads. Therefore, several threads may request the affix of the same buffer simultaneously. So it returns a reference to a shared affix.

I understand the reasoning here, but I really dislike the idea of `const` as a de-optimization. However, given the way that const is used, I guess this wouldn't be much of a problem in practice provided that some form of borrowing or inc/dec pair elision is implemented.