On Wednesday, 17 February 2016 at 19:01:38 UTC, Basile B. wrote:
That's more subtile than that.

The oldest 64 bit processor (AMD64) supports SSE, always. So when we do "cast(int) 0.1;" on X86_64, the backend always generate SSE instructions.

The oldest 32 bit processor (X86) doesn't support SSE, maybe MMX (not sure). So when we do "cast(int) 0.1;" on X86, the backend always generate FPU instructions.

This is how I understand the post 'I've landed onto'.
My current work always use SSE so it's not conform with the "at least available" feature.

Also, forgot to say, but an uniform API is needed to set the rounding mode, whether SSE is used or the FPU...