On Monday, 15 February 2016 at 13:51:38 UTC, ixid wrote:
Every time there is a D thread on reddit it feels like the new user is expecting mind-blowing speed from D.

https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/45v03g/porterstemmerd_an_implementation_of_the_porter/

This is the most recent one where John Colvin provided some pointers to speed it up significantly. Walter has done some good work taking the low-hanging fruit to speed up DMD code and there is a lot of effort going on with reference counting machinery but I wondered if some of the common errors people make that slow down D code can be addressed?

Literals used to be a hidden speed bump but I think that was improved, now the append operator is one of the most common culprits, can this not be enhanced behind the scenes to work more like append? Do others notice common pitfalls between the article code and what the D community then suggests where we can bridge the gap so naive users get faster code?

Since I posted this thread I've learned std.algorithm.sum is 4 times slower than a naive loop sum. Even if this is for reasons of accuracy this is exactly what I am talking about- this is a hidden iceberg of terrible performance that will reflect poorly on D. That's so slow the function needs a health warning.