On Thursday, 18 February 2016 at 17:23:09 UTC, rsw0x wrote:
On Thursday, 18 February 2016 at 11:41:26 UTC, Kai Nacke wrote:
On Thursday, 18 February 2016 at 10:45:54 UTC, Márcio Martins wrote:
I suppose it's a lot easier to address the compilation speed issue in LDC/GDC, than to improve and maintain DMD's backend to the expected levels, right?

LLVM has about 2.5 million code lines. I am anything than sure if it is easy to improve compilation speed.

Regards,
Kai

Sorry for being off topic,

Rustc(uses LLVM) has a parallel codegen compilation mode that decreases optimization for a (major AFAIK?) decrease in compilation time when compiling multiple files. Would it be possible for LDC to offer the same thing without a major rewrite? I'm unfamiliar with the LDC codebase which is why I ask. Probably worth noting that even with parallel codegen rustc is still far slower than ldc.

reference:
https://internals.rust-lang.org/t/default-settings-for-parallel-codegen/519

From time to time I dream about compiling modules in parallel. :-)

This needs some investigation but I think it could be possible to spawn a thread per module you are compiling (after the frontend passes). Never digged deeper into this...

Regards,
Kai