On 2/18/2016 11:54 AM, David Nadlinger wrote:
But imagine that Walter
would have invested all the time he spent e.g. on implementing DWARF EH into
optimizing the LDC frontend/glue layer/backend pass structure instead. Who
knows, we might have an LDC-based compiler today that is faster than the DMD we
currently have.

A big chunk of that was getting D to catch C++ exceptions. And before I did this work, neither GDC nor LDC did, either. It's not a simple matter of just turning it on given Dwarf EH.

The point being, a lot of things are not going to happen for D unless I do them. Many of these require changing the front end, back end, and the runtime library in concert. It's a lot easier to make these work when the person working on it understands how all three work.

Once they're done, they provide a good guide on how to get it to work with a monumental code base like the gdc and ldc backends are.