I think it's much stronger when the email/logs are maintained by a disinterested
third party.

For example, I'd say emails that were maintained on a private server by one of
the parties in the case would be less reliable than logs stored on yahoo's
servers that neither party has access to.

There would also be no shortage of witnesses "Yes, I remember the day Walter
added feature x, and github's logs are correct".

I think Walter is on solid ground there.

-Steve

Not only that, everyone who has accessed the github repository has their own copy of the repository. It's a distributed repository, not a single sourced one.

I also keep the email logs I get from it.

It's a thousand times better than producing a date stamp from a file on my backup hard disk.