On Wednesday, 9 March 2016 at 16:12:08 UTC, Michael wrote:
On Sunday, 6 March 2016 at 08:40:17 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
On Sunday, 6 March 2016 at 07:38:01 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
Motivated by Dmitry's "Pitching D to a gang of Gophers" thread, how about pitching it to a gang of professors and graduate students?

The geeky graduate students are the better target.

In teaching you usually want a focused clean language related to the course or a language that is already adopted by industry.

This hold a lot of weight speaking as a current postgraduate. I find that when teaching undergraduate courses, you're very much restricted to a few things. First, the choice of language to teach at the beginning of a student's degree needs to be based on what they will continue to use throughout their degree and beyond graduating. This means that other modules with specific software/library requirements will need to be taken into account (no point in teaching D/Go/Rust when you require MATLAB for several modules or coursework is required to be submitted in C/Java in later years). So it needs to fit with other taught units and that means that other members of staff who do not know D (and honestly, often don't have the time to learn a new language and rewrite all of the course material) will be stuck teaching the students another language on top of achieving their unit's aims.

Second, a university needs to be able to provide sufficient argument for teaching a language in relation to graduate employment; If the job market demands C++/Java/Python and only know D then problems arise pretty quickly and heads of department are not going to approve languages in place of those with high industrial demand. For most graduates, experience and skills for graduate employment is key.

Postgraduates, on the other hand, often have more time to experiment, and due to the nature of postgraduate work (particularly Ph.D and beyond) their research tends to require novelty. D has proved very valuable for me during my research and the lack of library requirements for experiments to be written and tested means that I am not tied to using a particular language. I am of course not saying that we shouldn't try to encourage undergraduates to explore D, but it's very difficult to try and introduce a new language into the curriculum at most universities without a rather large volume of support and justifications for doing so. Just some thoughts.

Chuck Allison's experience is quite interesting. I don't think Utah Valley University is seen as a top tier school, but enough of his students have received very good offers from top companies is enough to make one think.

http://dconf.org/2014/talks/allison.html

Of course, teaching staff at most places won't have the standing that Chuck Allison does to break with custom, but on the other hand I suppose if you stick with custom you will at best achieve customary results.

I do take your point about postgrads, and that's a fair observation too.