On Wednesday, 9 March 2016 at 19:34:24 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
On Wednesday, 9 March 2016 at 16:25:46 UTC, Craig Dillabaugh wrote:
I may be way off-base here but would teaching assembly be a good way to get D into the hands of undergrads? Learning assembly requires
some sort of 'harness' to code your assembly in.

I don't know what is common now, but I think machine language often has been taught either in the context of a OS/kernel-design course, hardware architecture (CPU/Computer design) course and compiler design courses. Difficult to get D into an OS course as C is standard, inline asm makes no sense for a compiler and hardware courses are aiming one step below machine language so no need for higher level than assembly...

It is not uncommon for courses to be agnostic, though. That is, the teacher accepts any language in student projects, but uses a well-known language in lectures and examples.

Let's add that D binaries are usually too bloated for their disassembly to be as readable as their C equivalent (mangling doesn't help) so even for "reverse engineering" assembly it is less than perfect (although perfectly doable of course).