On Wednesday, 23 March 2016 at 10:12:34 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
On Wednesday, 23 March 2016 at 08:37:01 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:

If you hide your gender you can, but I vastly prefer people who present their real name. I rate people more favourably if they go by their real handle, even if I strongly disagree with them, honesty is a very important quality. So I don't think discrimination can be avoided (in the broad sense), without going into hardcore deception (and that can be damaging). There is this famous essay of a MUD community that mourned over the death of a core community member, but it turned out the person just committed virtual suicide, not a physical death...

I've been playing several personas that were female presenting in settings where it was socially acceptable, but male acting, before this became a topic (mid 90s) and there certainly was bias in the interaction that ensued from time to time. It is also very educational to put yourself emotionally into identity and cultural expectations related to the opposite gender.

Anyway, there are positive qualities to both the more cooperative female side (information sharing) and the more competitive male side (debating) of interaction within a group. We all have both aspects, of course, and for progress we need a mix.

But gender affects how some people learn too. Male students may not want to admit to others that they don't know the topic and study the manuals instead of asking questions. Female students appears to have less resistance to asking questions. This is good if you want to be productive, but by studying the manuals you also learn a lot of stuff that you don't need at the time, but might need later. Some women also do this, of course, but I think there might be many very real gendered reasons for why more men are technical geeks than women.

Generally, it seems like it is more common for female engineers seems to be motivated by solving real problems rather than having the technology being the goal. I think male geeks often are the ones that picked their toys into pieces to figure out how they worked. Some girls do that too, just not as common.

[citations needed] for so much you post. You need to update your knowledge of evo-psych. I could tell you exact opposite: men are the more coopoerative sex. Show me examples of great all female cooperation please. I could point to the building you're sitting in. Most likely made almost exclusively by males. You know when males are competitive? When they compete for female attention. For example by starting a thread like this. Perfect example of virtue signaling. Your real first name doesn't tell me anything - in my language it's female, I don't even know what the language you're using. I don't give a damn.

All of the above doesn't matter. Stop making up gender issues when there're none. Stop dividing the community into classes. We don't need identity politics. Artists with patronage and programmers are among most welcoming groups out there. You know why programming attracts various social outcasts? Because we've always been welcoming. Don't fuck that up.