On 03/24/2016 01:07 PM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
On Thursday, 24 March 2016 at 16:46:53 UTC, Bruno Medeiros wrote:
It is, *however*, illustrative of a larger issue I have with the
mindset and attitude of the core D team: that there are several
aspects there that I consider antiquated, or narrow-minded. Please
don't take this as a personal offense Walter, it's not meant as such.
But:

Sorry, but this is complete FUD.

Not understanding the importance of package managers is another (DUB
still not part of official distro?) Compare with Rust's Cargo.

Dub is not part of the distro because the Dub maintainers don't consider
it ready. Everyone wants it packaged. We are waiting for it to
stabilize. If you want to help, start with
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dub/issues.

Not understanding the importance of IDE tooling is another. Compare
with Rust planned support for IDE tooling from the Mozilla team
itself. (https://github.com/rust-lang/rfcs/blob/master/text/1317-ide.md)

No, this is completely understood. We simply do not have the resources
for that. I think we've done everything reasonable to promote Visual D,
for example - it's linked from the website, it's in the GitHub
organization, it's in the installer, what more do you want? Unlike
Mozilla, we can't hire people to work on things full-time.

Even the fact that we are using custom web forum software (Vladimir's
forum) draws a strong parallel with the DigitalMars vs. LLVM backend
story.

No.

I mean, Vladimir's forum is an impressive piece of work, and it's a
really good demo of D's capabilities. That said, it's the work of 1-2
people, it cannot stand against the capabilities and polish of
something like Discourse which is developed by a much bigger team, and
used by many different organizations.

I take offense to that.

In the same way that forum.dlang.org can never have some of Discourse's
features by its nature, Discourse can never have some of forum.dlang.org
features. The Discourse's team's priorities are different (for example,
they put much less emphasis on responsiveness, resource usage,
interoperability, or multiple forms of presentation).

Perhaps you could list some particular features you're missing.

Many thanks Vladimir for a very good post. Last part made me smile because it reminded me of the many arguments constructed around "nobody can compete with IBM/Microsoft/ICEs/taxis/etc because they have market share/money/larger teams/lobbying power/etc" -- Andrei