On 3/28/16 12:47 PM, Jack Stouffer wrote:
On Monday, 28 March 2016 at 16:21:15 UTC, Johan Engelen wrote:
I just submitted a PR [1] that catagorizes warnings, such that you can
do something like this:
dmd -w -Wno-not-reachable
which would error on any warning except the "statement not reachable"
warnings (it completely disables that warning).

The motivation for the selective disabling/enabling of warnings was a
recent discussion in the Learn forum [2].

Please read about it in detail in the first message of the PR [1].

- Johan

[1]  https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/5592
[2] http://forum.dlang.org/thread/baupegcfvumouhgau...@forum.dlang.org

I think warnings being part of the compiler is a mistake. I don't think
they will ever be removed, so I think this is a good compromise.

The only reason compilers have warnings in them is because C++ needs an
entire compiler to warn you about potential problems, and it has since
become tradition for that feature to be included. We can just as easily
rely on dscanner for this kind of thing and simplify the compiler.

Warnings can be an important part of the deprecation process. The next release of the compiler will illustrate that.

-Steve