On Monday, 28 March 2016 at 17:05:46 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
Warnings can be an important part of the deprecation process. The next release of the compiler will illustrate that.

-Steve

But the import issues weren't solved with warnings, they went strait to deprecation.

And I'd argue that warnings are an unnecessary step in the deprecation process. IMO the deprecation -> undocumented -> removed cycle for Phobos works well. Adding another step to it needlessly delays the inevitable (how long has array.sort been a warning?), and I don't see why the same process won't work for DMD.