On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 21:17:08 -0500, Walter Bright <newshou...@digitalmars.com> wrote:

Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
But what if I don't what the whole function to be trusted, just that creation section? I have to create a new function just to create the data?

Separate out the trusted code to a separate function.

Although that's a solution, it seems artificial to have to build a separate function just to allocate some immutable object. If unsafe code is truly going to be a rare occurrence, you might want to allow as fine grained control as possible over where the compiler ignores safety. Having to create artificial boundaries that cause performance problems/code bloat doesn't seem right to me.

However, I'll let it go, I don't know the ramifications since allocating immutable objects is a rare occurrence, and I'm not sure how it will be done. I am also not sure how solid a use case this is (allocating an object, then manipulating it via methods before changing it to immutable).

-Steve