On Tuesday, 31 May 2016 at 20:18:34 UTC, default0 wrote:
I have no idea how licensing would work in that regard but considering that DMDs backend is actively maintained and may eventually even be ported to D, wouldn't it at some point differ enough from Symantecs "original" backend to simply call the DMD backend its own thing?

The way I understand it is that no matter how different a derivative work (such as any modification to DMD) gets, it's still a derivative work, and is subject to the terms of the license of the original work.