On 06/01/2016 04:28 PM, Timon Gehr wrote:
On 01.06.2016 17:30, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
On 06/01/2016 11:24 AM, Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d wrote:
It seems more like RCString is an optimization for certain types of
programs than what you'd want to use by default.

You'll always want to use it. The small string optimization will make it
compelling for all applications. -- Andrei

- Why is it dependent on the allocation strategy or on the type of the
data?

Not getting this.

- It seems to be a pessimization if I'm taking a lot of small slices.

I agree cases can be created in which straight arrays do sometimes better. They are rare and far between - for strings, the small string optimization is to live by.

- It is undesirable if I later want to reference-compare those slices.

Arrays will still be usable.