On Wednesday, 1 June 2016 at 12:14:06 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
On 05/31/2016 08:46 PM, Walter Bright wrote:

(Shouldn't those be by!dchar, by!wchar, by!char? byCodeUnit and byCodePoint stay as they are.)

4. Rally behind RCStr as the preferred string type of the D language. RCStr manages its own memory, is fast, and has the right interface (i.e. offers several views for iteration without an implicit one, doesn't throw on invalid code points, etc).

This is the key component. We get rid of GC-backed strings, which is part of the crucial goal for D we need to achieve, and reap the benefit of a better design as a perk. Breaking existing code does not have the right benefit for the cost.

Let's keep the eyes on the ball, folks. We want to rid D of the GC. That's the prize.

Andrei

How would the transition look like? How would it affect existing code, like e.g. `countUntil`, `.length` etc.?