On 6/2/16 5:24 PM, ag0aep6g wrote:
Nope, that's a radically different matter. As the examples show, the
examples would be entirely meaningless at code unit level.

They're simply not possible. Won't compile.

They do compile.

There is no single UTF-8
code unit for 'ö', so you can't (easily) search for it in a range for
code units.

Of course you can. Can you search for an int in a short[]? Oh yes you can. Can you search for a dchar in a char[]? Of course you can. Autodecoding also gives it meaning.

Just like there is no single code point for 'a⃗' so you can't
search for it in a range of code points.

Of course you can.

You can still search for 'a', and 'o', and the rest of ASCII in a range
of code units.

You can search for a dchar in a char[] because you can compare an individual dchar with either another dchar (correct, autodecoding) or with a char (incorrect, no autodecoding).

As I said: this thread produces an unpleasant amount of arguments in favor of autodecoding. Even I don't like that :o).