On Monday, 6 June 2016 at 21:25:07 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
On 6/6/2016 1:36 PM, Dave wrote:
On Monday, 6 June 2016 at 20:33:14 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
On 6/6/2016 12:44 PM, Satoshi wrote:
[...]

More complex? Wow!

[...]

C++ for junior programmers is easier? Wow!

[...]

Most learn C++ in college. So they have a 'headstart'

Even acquiring minimal competency in C++ has a very long learning curve, or perhaps I just have a different idea of what minimal competency is. Heck, the C++ code I wrote just a few years ago I regard as crap today.

My personal pet peeve are junior programmers who think they get it, find some perverted corner case in the language, and build their entire application around that. They confuse their mastery of the corner case with competence.

(This happens with all languages, not just C++, it's just that C++ provides so many opportunities for it!)

D is a little bit harder than most considering the lack of tutorials and the chaotic documentation that I have eluded to. Consider this:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8BGQ3CfPBs

I saw this series literally the day AFTER they released Swift.

I find lots of D talks, but nothing even REMOTELY close to this. I have to fall back onto your documentation that is littered with non-useful examples and broken links.

This isn't a knock on YOUR work personally. Every time I learn a detail of this language I am pleased with the solution (maybe with a slight caveat of the GC). It's just how long it takes to figure it out and learn what is needed to do things right.