As someone learning D, I thought I would give my insight in how I came to D.

My biggest reason for choosing D is the GC. I have come from Java and don't quite believe that I'm ready to manage my own memory throughout an entire program, but the ability to disconnect from the GC is a great way to start. I'm not saying that D should be a stopgap language, it has far too much potential for that.

I think that D definitely has many positives but that there is still work that needs to go into it. But all languages need work, no language is perfect.

I don't have much insight onto how the long term development and goals have gone, but I see that D is moving in a good direction and hope it will be around for many years to come. I also wish that D would have a wider adoption.

As it goes for tools. I agree work needs to be done on them but that it is not as important as a well done, competent compiler set and great documentation. D has great docs, and a quite competent compiler group.