Bill Baxter wrote:
Not sure what I think about that.  Can you even have a "systems"
language that doesn't allow pointer manipulation?

If you cannot implement a GC in a language, then it ain't a systems language. I'm pretty sure that's a necessary criteria, less sure it is a sufficient one.

But that's a good list.  In the video he makes it sound like generics
will probably happen eventually, they're just not sure how best to do
it yet.   Lack of operator overloading is annoying.  I guess that's
not unexpected given that their mission was to write a good language
for writing servers.  But if they don't do something about it (among
other things) they'll miss out on the game and numerics audience.

I was talking to David Held (if you haven't met him yet, you should at the next NWCPP meeting!). He has a lot of corporate experience with Java. Something he said piqued my interest when we were talking about IDEs. He said that IDEs for Java were necessary, and one reason why was because with "one click" the IDE will automatically generate hundreds of lines of boilerplate.

It seems that the Java IDE is serving the need that other languages have macros, templates, metaprogramming and other generative programming features for. If D needed an IDE to generate such boilerplate, I'd consider D to have a severe lack of expressive power.

Go doesn't seem to have any generative abilities.