On 2016-09-03 14:12, Walter Bright wrote:

Except that asserts are checking for compiler bugs, not diagnostics on
user code. I don't expect users to debug the compiler - if they get an
assert they should file a bug report to bugzilla and let us debug the
compiler and fix it.

What kind of issue due you see with trying to print some form of information when an assertion fails? I would have certainty help me the times I've hacked on the compiler and triggered an assertion. Why shouldn't the developers working on the compiler getting as much help as possible?

--
/Jacob Carlborg