On Thursday, 8 September 2016 at 17:15:54 UTC, safety0ff wrote:
On Thursday, 8 September 2016 at 17:03:30 UTC, Stefan Koch wrote:

I thought of the same thing a while back.
However I have had the time to decipher the gprof data-format yet. Is there another profile-format for decent visualization tools exist ?

I was just using that as an example of what we might want to output as text. e.g. https://sourceware.org/binutils/docs/gprof/Flat-Profile.html

I wasn't saying that we should mimic gmon.out file format, I don't think that buys us much.

I disagree anything which allows to use existing visualization and correlation will be a major win.
If I am going to write a profiler it should have pretty charts.
Also the gnu guys probably put a lot thought into their format.