On 09/17/2016 09:38 AM, eugene wrote:
because a programmer will have a choice of writing or not semicolons, as
one anyway presses "Enter" why not to use it as a line separator, and
one who likes to type semicolons won't be confused if there is backward
compatibility

Other people have already explained the reasons. It all just comes down to one thing: There's a class of programmers who will never stop griping about trivialities like "Oh my god, I have to type a semicolon?! How horrible!"

Can we drop the matter already and get back to something a little bit less worthless like tabs vs spaces. If semicolons are such a terrible drain, there's always JS and Python. Have fun.