On Monday, 26 September 2016 at 19:49:27 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
On Monday, 26 September 2016 at 18:43:38 UTC, Ilya Yaroshenko wrote:
I think we need to make it a point to support Mir in dmd. -- Andrei

[...]

We have not new concurrents in this fields, but C/C++/Fortran. Our problem is that we trying to be more hight level language than the IT industry needs. Lets forget about Go and Rust "concurrents" and remember about the initial D goal, which is more actual then ever: replace C/C++ in the IT industry.

Best regards,
Ilya

To me, it seems pointless to support Mir in DMD. The "functionality" that it brings is speed. Nobody needing absolutely the fastest code is not going to have any interest in DMD. From what I understand of Mir (but correct me if I'm wrong) it is easy enough to replicate its functionality by linking to existing linear algebra libraries. Others can construct a compatible interface if that's something they want.

I think Ilya and everyone else working on Mir should push forward with the LDC-based project. Anything else is a distraction.

The functionality that it brings is also ease of use and simplicity if what you are doing is not only matrix stuff and will have other code in D. It's an impressive effort, and congratulations to Ilya and others.

DMD is useful for fast edit / compile cycle. Maybe there are some advantages for gdc too for some people in some circumstances. It's behind currently, but in the respects that matter here I don't suppose it will always be so. Sometimes LDC has bugs that makes it difficult to compile one's code, and new features will always show up on DMD first.

It's a pity to fragment the ecosystem - to potentially have a library that works on one of three main compilers, but that's sufficiently good that nobody else will write a competing library that works on all compilers.

It's not for your or me to tell Ilya and colleagues what to do, and it certainly won't do any good to do so. One could access Mir in DMD from a D wrapper on top of C bindings to Mir, but is anyone likely to write these and keep them up to date? I am not so sure.

Everyone is entitled to their own view about the proper role of D, and I know Ilya has strong views on this topic, and that's normal because people think in different ways and is in a different situation.

So I think Andrei's goal makes much sense strategically, though I have no idea how it might be achieved.

Laeeth