On Thursday, 19 January 2017 at 07:39:10 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
If I'm looking for a new type of application I'll dismiss those that don't look native very quickly. Unless I know beforehand that the application is very good, then I'll give it some more time.

I think it has more to do with looking well-designed for the purpose. 3D and audio editors often use non-native custom UI toolkits. VS Code is also non-native.

But on OSX you have to use the OSX-menu and put extra effort into the design if you use non-native widgets IMO.

Also, make sure it isn't sluggish. Java apps often has that extra GC sluggishness to them, even the polished JetBrains IDEs feel a bit sluggish.