dsimcha Wrote:

> The one thing that I think has been missing from this discussion is, what
> would be
> the alternative if we didn't have this "non-deterministic" reallocation?  How
> else
> could you **efficiently** implement dynamic arrays?

In the long run (D3), I proposed using the "unique" type modifier. If an array
is unique, the compiler knows that there are no slices to worry about, and it
can use in-place reallocation to its heart content. That pretty much solves the
performance problem.

In the short run (D2), I would suggest sticking to "reallocate on every
extension" semantics (especially in SafeD) and provide a library solution (a la
C++ std::vector) where the performance of appending is an issue.