On Tuesday, 28 February 2017 at 14:52:36 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
Thanks. I'd replace "changes should be split into as many commits as is reasonable" with "changes should be split into as many pull requests as is reasonable", which is a natural consequence of "most pull requests should consist of one commit upon merging". (Of course there may be several commits during PR review.)

Well... not always. For example, introducing a private function that is not called from anywhere is something that doesn't really make sense as a pull request of its own, but does make sense as a separate commit.

One vs. several commits per merged pull request is a matter in which reasonable people may disagree, and we can't do both ways. The Foundation fosters that github pull requests are squashed upon merging, with exceptions that need to be justified.

Sorry, but I don't think that's reasonable at all.

I have seen no arguments to support this way of doing things, only downsides. Established major projects seem to agree.

As far as I can see, this is not about a subjective point regarding which reasonable people may disagree. It seems to be a poorly justified mandate, that's all.

As I've mentioned previously, you will need to provide some arguments which would outweigh those supporting the opposite position.

The Foundation fosters

IMHO, this phrase does not belong in technical discussions.