On Friday, 24 February 2017 at 21:22:10 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
I don't really buy that bullet-proof and under-performing solutions is improving on system level programming. It is an improvement for application level programming and performant libraries.

Maybe, but most personal user data is at some level handled by programs written in C: database engines and operating systems. Although I've noticed that the current trend is to focus less on performance and more on scaling, e.g. cochroachdb is an implementation of a Spanner like SQL database in Go.

If it doesn't scale, then it's slow no matter what it's written in. For example SQL is slow even though it's very optimized: you simply can't handle millionfold increase in server load and data size with C optimizations, and that increase happens just fine. If it's 1usec vs 1msec it doesn't matter because the user doesn't see such difference, it it's 30sec vs 60sec it's still doesn't matter, because both are beyond user patience. Performance doesn't work incrementally, it just either works or doesn't, so you're unlikely to achieve anything by making it twice as fast. Also why Cloudflare wrote new parser? Because ragel parser was slow. It's written in C and does all funny C stuff, but is slow. So where's famous C performance?