On Monday, 6 March 2017 at 05:50:01 UTC, Rico Decho wrote:
It's actually rather rare to *need* to avoid the GC -- only niche applications need that, like if you're writing a game engine that has to avoid stop-the-world pauses (which can be easily worked around, btw), or real-time medical applications where if it stops for 10ms somebody dies. 90% of real world programs out there work just fine with the GC.

Actually it's my case. I'd LOVE to use D for game development for instance, but I won't take the risk of having the GC pause the game when I don't want to, even for just an unknown amount of milliseconds, and even if I know that anyway I'll try to limit dynamic allocations by using caches etc.

If this isn't a perfect example of D's marketing problem I don't know what is. Someone who likes D and takes the time to write on the forum yet thinks the GC will randomly run no matter what.

To make it abundantly clear: I'm not bashing on you in the slightest, Rico Decho. I'm just pointing out that there's a clear problem here in that we can't expect to convert e.g. C++ game developers who have never written a line of D before if we haven't even managed to educate the community yet.

Unfortunately, I have no ideas on how to remedy the situation. I also don't know how to get people to stop believing that C is magically fast either, which I think is a similar perception problem.

Atila