On Thursday, 30 March 2017 at 10:28:01 UTC, dennis luehring wrote:
Am 30.03.2017 um 08:58 schrieb Ervin Bosenbacher:
That is the same, that came as a shock to me.

most compilers (for many languages) can optimize your super-trivial example down to nothing - for at least the last 10 years or more

so whats the point? you're talkin about "performance is critical for me"
but missing even minor knowledge about todays compiler powers?

for a benchmark you need:
-loops, running millions of times, preventing IO and do now fall into the completely-optimized-to-nothing-trap etc.

I understand what you are saying, it wasn't a thorough all encompassing analysis just wanted a quick POC and convince myself whether D lang is sufficient enough for my case. I have already accepted the fact that if I want to optimize my Python code in certain situations, not all because you can use better algos, data structures, etc then I have to drop down to C++ or C using say pybind11. Instead of that D. And then if I am not happy with something I can drop to C or C++ anyway because its ABI compatible with C and with limitations with C++, right? After I have accepted the fact that I have to use various tools to solve various problems its not much of an issue. But with D i have to less code which is always better. Less code, less complexity, less bugs... etc I am not going to go down this vortex. :)

Yes I have much less knowledge of compilers probably than you do but I am happy with these results.

On another note my first choice was rust, and I have tried and tried, rejecting it multiple times. I am happy with D.