Looking into Rust and Cargo Debian packaging, it looks like they are looking to go with source packages to work around the ABI issue:

"Because Rust doesn't have a stable shared-library ABI, and we don't want to rebuild every Rust library package for every architecture every time we upload a new version of rustc, we package library crates as source code, installed into /usr/share/cargo/registry/cratename-version/. Thus, the Debian "binary" package for a library crate contains the same source as the source package."

https://internals.rust-lang.org/t/debian-rust-packaging-policy-draft/4453