Hello Walter,

Max Samukha wrote:

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 12:48:51 -0800, Walter Bright
<newshou...@digitalmars.com> wrote:
If you've got a system that relies on the software continuing to
function after an unexpected null seg fault, you have a VERY BADLY
DESIGNED and COMPLETELY UNSAFE system. I really cannot emphasize
this enough.

I have an example of such a software:
http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/audiopostproduction_product/nuen
do4.html
It loads third-party plugins into the host process's address space,
an consequently it may fail at any moment. The software's design is
not the best ever but it gives the user last chance to save his work
in case of fatal error. This feature has saved my back a couple of
times.

Be that as it may, it is certainly possible to catch seg faults in an
exception handler and write files out. That would be an unacceptable
behavior, though, in a system that needs to be safe.

For some systems, once you hit a seg-v, things can't get any worse so why not try to make things better by saving what you can?