BCS wrote:
With the pump shut off, you have a few seconds of fuel left in the
carb. With no oil pressure, your engine is going to seize anyway.

In a few minutes yes (and it will still run for some time after it's damaged beyond repair), more than long enough off get off the road. I'd put a big buzzer in and let the driver decide when it is safe to shut down the engine. In some situations, I'd gladly cook the engine to get to safety.

There is an override on the switch to turn the pump on anyway, but it's a push button you have to hold down.

I also pried a switch off of
a junkyard Mustang that shuts off if it gets hit hard, I also plan
on
installing that to shut off the fuel pump. Think of those like a
"seg
fault" <g>)
That one might even be worse because it only comes into play when you
know things are going wrong; "as soon as things go wrong, my car
quits working".

You *really* don't want your fuel pump to keep on pumping if you're in
an accident. That's the purpose of the inertial switch. With older
mechanical pumps, the pump would stop whenever the engine did. The
gasoline is safer remaining in the tank than being pumped all over the
road, the hot engine, and your trapped body.

So tie it into the inition system or a tilt switch (some 4x4 do that one).

It is tied to the ignition system already. The problem is, the ignition doesn't automatically turn off when you crash your car.

If you race cars, you are required to install a battery cutoff switch on the outside in an obvious location. This is so emergency personnel running up to save your a** can shut off the power first thing so no spark or whatever will set things on fire.

I have a quick disconnect on my battery. Whenever I work on the car, the first thing is always to disconnect it.