On Thursday, 25 May 2017 at 17:10:01 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
On Thursday, 25 May 2017 at 17:04:10 UTC, Jason King wrote:
And how many of those are claiming to be a systems programming language?

I have no problems with an unstable ABI, what I have a problem is with claiming to be a systems programming language AND not having a stable ABI. You realistically cannot have both — it seems like D is trying to have it’s cake and eat it too and I’m just pointing out that it’s going to lead to sadness. If there are no plans to ever have a stable ABI, that’s fine (may even be good for the long term usage of the language), just drop the whole systems programming language bit and focus more on application level, but
I’ve not really seen any recognition of that.

From that point of view, C++ and Ada aren't system programming languages.

Exactly. Maybe I have holes in my memory, but I can't remember anything on "final C++ ABI standard". In fact I can even recall something like this - "by not doing so(ABI freeze, I mean) we are able to stay in touch with newer hardware"