On Wednesday, 31 May 2017 at 13:04:52 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
This is like the equivalent of having a guard rail on a road not only stop you from going off the cliff but proactively disable your car afterwards to prevent you from more harm.

Sorry for double post, but - after thinking more about this - I do not agree that this fits. I think a better analogy would be this: Your car has an autonomous driving system and an anti-collision system and the anti-collision system detects that you are about to hit an obstacle (let us say another car); as a result it engages the breaks and shuts off the autonomous driving system. It might be that the autonomous driving system was in the right and the reason for the almost collision was another human driver driving illegally, but it might also be that there is a bug in the autonomous driving system. If the latter is the case, in this one instance the anti-collision device detected the result of the bug, but the next time it might be that the autonomous driving system drives you off a cliff, which the anti-collision would not help against. So the only sane thing to do is shut the autonomous driving system off, requiring human intervention to decide which of the two was the case (and if it was the former, turn it on again).